Vea esta página en/See this page in: Español
Somos Familia is looking for a part-time organizer with a passion for collaboration and support for Latina/o/x families with LGBTQ children. Reporting to the Director, the Organizer’s primary responsibilities will be to coordinate community workshops and parent support activities. Please share with anyone in your network that might be interested. Spanish-language proficiency required.
Somos Familia supports Latina/o/x families with children who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer (LGBTQ) and conducts education to create family and community acceptance. Somos Familia is a primarily volunteer-run, intergenerational, bilingual, community-based organization working to build a climate of acceptance for Latina/o/x LGBTQ youth in our schools, families and communities. Somos Familia takes a family-centered approach to improving youth’s health outcomes. We use a peer leadership model to work with families. This model helps address concerns and fears, develop understanding and acceptance and become leaders in driving change in our families, schools and communities.
Somos Familia is seeking a family organizer who can engage and inspire Latina/o/x parents and youth to work together and develop as leaders. The family organizer will play a central role in building strong communities, empowering families and LGBTQ Latinas/os/xs to access local resources and advocate for themselves.
This is a great opportunity for someone looking to work at the intersection of Latina/o/x and LGBTQ organizing. Candidate must be energetic, motivated, able to work with timelines, open to learning, and committed to teamwork.
- Coordinate and provide one-on-one assistance and advocacy to families seeking support on their journey toward acceptance of their LGBTQ children.
- Facilitate and manage community support gatherings for families throughout the Bay Area.
- Manage recruitment of school and community partners for educational workshops.
- Coordinate volunteer trainers to effectively provide educational workshops.
- Coordinate with existing volunteers to do outreach at schools and community organizations to increase our participant base.
- Conduct monthly outreach and education team meetings with community members.
- Support community volunteers in set-up, distribution, and clean up of events and meetings.
- Ensure information is maintained confidential at all times.
- Spanish language proficiency required, strong written and verbal skills (no exceptions).
- Interest in working with LGBTQ communites and gender nonconforming youth and adults.
- Ability to travel throughout the Bay Area.
- Commitment to serving, empowering, and advocating on behalf of low-income immigrants and families.
- Ability to work independently and able to work effectively in a non-structured environment.
- Desire or experience to work with volunteers.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and prioritize them effectively and quickly.
$20/hour, Part time – 10 hours per week
How to Apply
Send a resume & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15, 2018.